Friday, July 26, 2013

Let the Season-ing Begin

This week Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge is to create a card with a summer food and/or drink theme.

The card I created was inspired by a gentleman at work who asked "Can you make a card with food?"

Well, yes, yes, I can; at least with a food theme.

It was also inspired by Kim Reid's "When I Need You" card in the CardMaker magazine, Summer 2013 issue. I enjoy the style of her card.

I had the idea, had the supplies and usually it ends there. However, due to the intent of Three Cs blog  "to get motivated to use the supplies I have hoarded for years and to push my creativity to the next level" and a very inspiring challenge from Simon Says Stamps I got working in my craft room getting thought to paper.







This card challenged me a bit more than the first three cards posted. I wanted to cut the little man using the Block Party Cricut Cartridge but did not have any skin colour paper. Nor did I like my choice of paper for his hair. I opted to cut these items in white and used Copic marker E01 & E11 to give him his skin tone and E37 & E77 for his hair colour. I also used Copic marker C3 to shade his chefs hat and the metallic items.





The other challenge was the salt and pepper shakers. I tried different techniques and products in order to achieve the metallic look for the bottle covers, as well as a salt and pepper look to its contents.

My first try was Glitter Ritz but that was too shiny.

The second try was colouring the different parts of the bottle with the Copic markers - not quite the result I wanted.

Third try was to emboss. Third try is always the charm. I cut out two sets of the salt and pepper shakers. The first set, I cut the tops off and embossed them with the Martha Stewart - sterling silver embossing powder. The second set, I roughly embossed the salt bottle with Martha Stewart's bright white embossing powder hoping to keep a grainy look to the powder. The pepper bottle, I embossed it in two layers. the first layer was embossed with black powder, then I reapplied the Big & Bossy embossing ink and lightly sprinkled with the bright white powder. I finished the bottles by gluing the metallic covers to the embossed bottles. The look that I got, with the supplies I had, is probably the closest I would get to looking like the real deal.

 

My photography skills did not pick up the details of the salt.



Items from my inventory used to make this card:
  • Various card stock and pattern paper
  • Block Party - Cricut Lite - Dad 1 and Grill 1
  • Copic markers
    • hair - E37, E77
    • skin - E01, E11
    • metal and shadows - C3
    • grass - YG63
    • sky - B0000
  • Tombow glue
  • Circut Expression
  • Recollections - brown cardstock
  • Stampin'up - Classic stamping pad - Cherry cobbler and Sahara sand
  • Circle stamp - unknown
  • Unity Stamp - Splatter it
  • Fiskar paper trimmer
  • Viva decor - Pearl pen - cream and black
  • Cricut cartridge - From my Kitchen - salt & pepper
  • Martha Stewart - sterling embossing powder
  • Big & Bossy - embossing ink pad
  • Marvy Embossing heat tool
  • Zapdots foam dots
  • Sharpie permanent marker
  • Stampendous! black embossing powder

Purchased:
  • Nothing 


3 comments:

I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment. However, any comments that attack, slander or defame another person, company, or product will be removed from this site.

Total Visits